Friday, October 17, 2008

Vichy Conservatives

I was mulling over the possibility of writing something about the odd phenomenon of conservative pundits who would have us believe that they’re somehow helping the cause of “true” conservatism by doing their level best to pave the way to victory for the most left-wing Democratic presidential candidate in history - very possibly in conjunction with a filibuster-proof Democratic congress – when I came across this item from somebody who says it a lot better than I could.

For the record, I’m not knocking people who criticize McCain or Palin for valid reasons (and by “valid”, I mean clearly articulated and logical, not that I necessarily have to agree with them); I’m talking about the Chris Buckleys, the David Brooks’s, the Peggy Noonans, et al, whose real objections are clearly, as “Tacitus” in the linked editorial points out, based on matters of style rather than substance, but who think that their hick readers won’t actually be able to find the pea under the shell. And I also share the author’s disgust with their preening, melodramatic displays of martyrdom: just a bunch of missionaries stewing stoically in a pot, more sad than censorious, lamenting their flock’s relapse into cannibalism. It looks like we may not only wind up having to take America back from the Democrats, but conservatism back from its self-appointed expositors.

As Trump might say, “Peggy Noonan: You’re. Fired.” Read the article.

Oh, and by the way; the press is really going after Joe the Plumber for having the stones to ask a question to The One, and expressing dissatisfaction with his answer. We should each of us, in his own way, show solidarity with Joe...



"I am Spartacus!"

12 comments:

Boy on a bike said...

May your post lead to an avalanche of copycats.

http://tinyurl.com/5lgvjp

Paco said...

Good idea, B on a B!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You know Dan Aykroyd, Paco?

Paco said...

El Cid: There you are! I was hoping you'd drop by. I've been meaning to put your new blog on my blog roll but I had forgotten the name of it and I was looking for it under the wrong monikers.

Dan Ackroyd? Er...yes...yes, that's him.

Anonymous said...

Yeah sure, right...LOL.

Umm, you may get an uptick in visits...I just posted this at Little Green Footballs...

Vichy Conservatives
pacoenterprises.blogspot.com (clicks: 0)

....in their link spinoffs.

I've just emailed Rebecca H., haven't seen her anywhere. Hope all is well with her.

See ya' later, Spartacus...Dan, or whomever the L you are...:)

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are in LGF's top rated links

Excellent article, my friend.

Anonymous said...

See what I mean...Dan, err...whomever...lol.

HEY! It's close, ok?

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of mounting a plunger to the cargo rack on my pick up truck.

Anonymous said...

Vichy Conservatives
pacoenterprises.blogspot.com (clicks: 143)

Just from LGF links. Not to shabby, Dan.

Anonymous said...

Where's the canary yellow Packard?

Paco said...

Steve: It's in the shop; I'm having a plunger mounted temporarily in place of the hood ornament.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a Derby mute?

Seriously,

I am Joe the Plumber.