Monday, November 3, 2008

Do Your Duty

Update: Mrs. Paco and I voted, and it felt great. Interestingly, we were the only voters at the polling place (although, perhaps we weren't there during peak hours; I took off from work a little early). Choice of paper ballots or electronic (we opted for paper). Straight Republican ticket.

Here's one last bit of optimism prior to the final decision, courtesy of famed internet explorer, Captain Heinrichs (I particularly like the photo).

I’m not a pundit, never pretended to be. I’m not going to “call” the election one way or the other. You people – all of us – do that when we vote. So, today, Mrs. Paco and I will go to the polling place, cast our votes for McCain/Palin, and pray for our country’s deliverance from the danger that has cast a shadow over the land. If McCain wins, great; if we lose, we buckle down and begin the long fight to rescue our nation from its momentary lapse in judgment (first opportunity to stem the tide: the congressional elections of 2010). In any event, unlike those sensitive and refined types who keep threatening to leave the country if their favorite liberal candidate doesn’t win, if our guy loses, me and the missus and our kind ain’t a-goin’ nowheres; we’re gonna make this place too hot to hold them sum’bitches. Ain’t that right, boys? (Rowdy chorus of “Damn straights!”, “Hell yeahs!” and rebel yells, accompanied by pounding of beer bottles and shot glasses on the bar, and punctuated by the ragged report of dragoon pistols and the odd squirrel rifle).

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

May the Force be with you all.

Paco said...

Thanks, Max. If things don't go right, you might find yourself visiting the "Paco State Collective".

Anonymous said...

Squirrel rifles? I think not!

;-D

Zardoz said...

Although it's not looking good for the home team I will not despair if McCain doesn't win. However, I will be disappointed in knowing that too many voters failed in their due diligence and elected a man with a thin résumé and no real accomplishments.

This appears to be the year that we conservatives take our lumps (not that we really had a candidate of our own). Heck, I was raised in Cook County, Illinois, and I know what it feels like to be left holding the short straw.

Cheer up folks, only 24 months until the 2010 election..........

Anonymous said...

I've never understood the celebrities claim that they'd leave the country if their guy lost. Seems to me if your candidate looses you have to stay and fight, but then I love my country so maybe that's the difference.

Retread

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, Paco, and to your country. Nothing will ever change my love for the United States of America.

RebeccaH said...

Hell yeah and damn straight, Paco.

Paco said...

Bless you C.L. Bless you all.

Paco said...

I find this dripping with irony: two enemies of the state casting their ballots at the same polling place where Obama will vote.

missred said...

i am right there with you and the missus, sir.

missred said...

although i do still have hope that mccain will win. and will not watch anything this evening. i will wait until tomorrow morning

Paco said...

Missred: We're going to do the same. Mrs. Paco and I will have dinner, watch a movie and turn in. I'll get up tomorrow morning and see what happened. I see no point in watching the talking heads spout unreliable exit poll data.

Anonymous said...

I'll hit the gymn tonight, paco, and hope that I can turn off the boob tubes above the exercise machines. If naught, I'll do something else.

Paco said...

RJ: I haven't watched election returns on TV since 1980; the look on Harry Reasoner's face when they called New York for Reagan was priceless.

Anonymous said...

Well I've got this bottle of single malt, see, and, well, tonight's the night for sampling and exiting - from bottle to glass to mouth - so it's looking like I'm watching election returns, but only to get the scotch you see.

You tomorrow morning people may know as soon as I do if I get the sampling and exiting right.

Retread

Anonymous said...

Onwards and upwards my good fellow! It ain't over til it's over.

And may God always bless America.

Paco said...

Retread: I'm taking tomorrow off, too.

SwampWoman said...

Hunh. I thought I was the only one considering having an early evening with the news and internet off, and then finding out who won in the morning.

SwampWoman said...

What I really hate is the news media saying things like "and with 1% of the precincts counted, we project "x" as the winner".

Paco said...

Swampwoman: Even with no precincts counted, I project the Press to be the loser.

Saint: Que Viva McCain! Que Viva Paquismo!

Anonymous said...

I expect The Ubermessiah to win. I also expect his campaign's team collision with reality to be very negative for The One That Is We

For He Is The One That Is We! That One That We Have Waited For And Now He Has Arrived And We Are One With Us!

.. and him also.

Anonymous said...

Reading the previous posts, including my own, I have developed a STRATEGY!!!

Assume, for the moment, that I am an American. Not true, but the assumption helps.

The Ubermessiah wins. We, as loyal Americans, even though being very sensible conservatives, must cheer and encourage The One to Fulfill His Promises. We will help, not hinder ;^)

Help The One bring on the social and economic catastrophy he wishes for.

Anonymous said...

"It just don't add up!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043400/quotes

Anonymous said...

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit:
The O-ficcial State Motto of Mojostan.

Everything sounds more impressive in Latin, as they say. The basic sentiment remains - "Come Get Some"

Anonymous said...

I expect many lurking creatures to hatch out of the mud. But they will be met and matched by the stalwart American people.