Friday, June 26, 2009

Bloggers' Night Out!

I had the pleasure - and the honor - to join some Washington-area bloggers for happy hour this evening. The attendees were:

1) Track-A-Crat and his lovely bride;

2) The vivacious Monique Stuart;

3) And the great man, himself - Robert Stacy McCain, as witty and convivial a fellow as I've ever clinked a glass with.

The party was hosted by Stacy's gracious and hard-working blog partner, Smitty, and a good time was had by all (and, perhaps, is still being had).

It was a nearly perfect evening. The qualifier arises as a result of an incident that occurred when I returned to my office to collect my things, preparatory to catching the Metro home. Just as I was about to enter the building, a gust of wind lifted my spiffy gray Panama hat off my head, and the thing (the hat, that is, not my head) rolled at high speed down the sidewalk on the edge of the brim like a run-away tire, with me running alongside, executing a series of sporadic chorus-line kicks in an effort to stop it (futile, of course; the hat simply rolled over my shoe). It finally came to a stop of its own accord, and you will all no doubt be relieved to hear that the hat was undamaged (not so, my amour propre, which was considerably bruised).

9 comments:

Zardoz said...

Time to purchase a PanamA Chapeau Oppressor, patent pending, from Zardoz Industries. Guaranteed to keep misbehaving headgear in its place.

RebeccaH said...

Perhaps your hat is trying to tell you something. Like, when's the next Detective Paco saga?

Paco said...

Zardoz: Does your product look something like this?

Rebecca: I'm trying to work one up.

Track-A-'Crat said...

Paco,

Great to meet you this evening!

The wife and I went to watch Transformers after you'd left - it's the most boring movie that I've ever seen, truly terrible.

Glad to hear that the hat is ok! That must've been the bad karma to negate all the good karma that your hat had generated earlier on. Still, gotta disinfect it thoroughly after having a tumble down the streets of DC...

Anonymous said...

That nincompoop, Michael Lonie, installed a software upgrade on the orbital weather machine and turned it on without debugging it first. It blew a limb off my maple tree which fell on my neighbor's garage.

Did I not say that we couldn't trust such an important task to Lonie? Didn't I? And look what has happened. Poor paco's hat.

(wronwright adopts a sad face)

I am more than ready to resume my direction of the weather machine. I've translated the Japanese operators manual so I can assure everyone that Katrina, and um, Rita, will not recur.

wronwright
VRWC

Paco said...

Track: The hat got rained on, later, so I guess that took care of the germs.

It was a pleasure to meet you and Mrs. Track-A-Crat, and I hope we can all get together again soon.

Paco said...

Wronwright: Hmm. How about if you take it for a test ride over the Revolutionary Guard HQ in Tehran?

SwampWoman said...

No, I think the test run should be over Washington, D.C., when congress is in session.

smitty1e said...

Thank you very much for swinging by. I think it was an excellent outing. We'll keep the infrequent, informal gatherings going, I think.