Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Suspense is Killing Me!

As I indicated in a previous post, I didn’t watch the SOTU speech; however, I have read excerpts from the written transcript, and I’ve seen a fair amount of blog commentary, including this post by Drew over at Ace of Spades.

So, Mr. Preshizzle, you say the “war in Iraq is ending.” Cool. Er, you want to give us a hint about who won?

Over at Contentions (in my opinion, one of the most thoughtful, well-written group blogs out there), John Steele Gordon denounces Obama’s attack on the Supreme Court. Aside from the embarrassing fact that Obama - noted Constitutional law junkie - was wrong in his interpretation of the particular ruling, it was a remarkable display of disrespect and even cowardice (it’s not like Chief Justice Roberts could have jumped up and cited the president for contempt, after all, although Alito’s silent criticism is priceless). Gordon, incidentally, links to this comprehensive, yet short, piece at Future of Capitalism which boils the astonishingly bad speech down to its primary components of mendacity and inert ingredients.

BTW, Alito's voiceless comment, coming in the midst of Obama's bluster, reminded me of a bible verse:
"Go out and stand before me on top of the mountain,” God said to Elijah. Then God passed by and sent a furious wind that split the hills and shattered the rocks – but God was not in the wind. The wind stopped blowing, and then there was an earthquake – but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake there was a fire – but God was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the soft whisper of a voice. When Elijah heard it, he covered his face with his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
(1Kings 19:11-13 GNT)

4 comments:

RebeccaH said...

I admit I'm no Constitutional scholar (although I am aware of what the Constitution guarantees), and I'm certainly not schooled in the protocols and niceties of polite behavior between branches of government (although my years of civilian work with the Army and with corporations and a mediocre Midwestern university gave me a vague idea of what's appropriate and what's not), but I must admit, even I was shocked when Obama slapped at the SCOTUS. While they were sitting there, right in front of him, no less. It was an angry, petty thing to do, certainly not worthy of a president.

There are all the usual words of outrage, shock, disgust, disapproval, dismay, disappointment, and incredulity that might be leveled at this president, but I don't think any of them suffice. I've been around a long time, and through many presidential administrations, and nothing compares, in my mind, to the abjectly funereal inadequacies of Barack Obama.

Paco said...

You said it!

Mehaul said...

Comparing the SOTU speech with his pre election speeches, the big O seems to have slipped dramatically. What were 9 out of 10s pre President speeches when marked against confidence, authority, hope'nchange and other trust me factors, would now attract no more than 5 out of 10. His physical stature is less and may I say his blackness is now more yellowness. I thought this was my TV but I've been assured it isn't. He needs more protection from his Democrat mates on the hill, because if this is what 12 months has done to him, then he may be unrecognisable after 2 years in the job.

Anonymous said...

Petty. The perfect word.

Childish.

Un-Presidential.

Yeah, like that's a surprise.