Thursday, August 19, 2010

Assortment

You know, when you don’t use a defibrillator correctly, you can kill rather than help. Unfortunately, Obama and the Democrats are as inept at applying the job defibrillator as they are at everything else.

Barack Obama: not fit to tie Jimmy Carter’s shoelaces.

Swampie says, “Investigate this, Nancy!”

Richard McEnroe has some good advice for hunters.

El Cid catches Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-Ground Zero District) drawing erroneous conclusions.

Enoch Root at Piece of Work in Progress puts the Ground Zero mosque in perspective.

Congratulations to the Australian dodgeball team!

What the…a remake of True Grit?!?

6 comments:

bruce said...

I don't know if I could bring myself to watch a remake of True Grit.

The original is one of my favourites and I've watched it many times since it was first released in cinema (I was 14). Small things like the fear in Dennis Hopper's 'Moon' character's eyes stay with me.

RebeccaH said...

I saw True Grit as an adult, and had already seen John Wayne in better movies that never got a nod from Hollywood (Hondo and The Searchers, among others). To my mind, True Grit was diminished by the presence of Campbell and Darby, but I still smile at this memorable line: "Fill your hands, you son of a bitch!"

Paco said...

Bruce, Rebecca: Great observations.

I'm also fond of Wayne's response to Campbell in the movie: "If I ever meet a Texican who hasn't claimed to have drunk water out of a hoof-print, I'll either shake his hand or give him a Daniel Webster seegar!"

JeffS said...

I'm with Bruce.....I doubt that I'll ever watch this remake. "The Dude"? Please, no.

I stopped watching these remakes when I realized they weren't paying homage to the original; it's just that Hollywood ran out of original ideas.

Bob Belvedere said...

RebeccaH is so right about the presence of Glen and Kim - they just don't fit and bring the movie down from what it could have been.

Can't we digitize some different actors into their parts and preserve The Duke's performance?

This sounds like a job for Paco Pictures Limited!

Awarded the THE SPOT-ON QUOTE OF THE DAY at:
The Camp Of The Saints

richard mcenroe said...

Rooster Cogburn cast for remake of True Grit...

RebeccaH _ I seem to relate more to "brave talk for a one-eyed fat man!" Don't know why...