Friday, September 10, 2010

In wildest Occupied Northern Virginia

Ok, this sounds nuts. We just got an email from the community association saying that there have been two sightings of a cougar in the neighborhood. And by cougar, I mean this kind...



Now, here's the weird thing. One evening, a couple of weeks ago, Mrs. Paco and I heard this incredibly strange yowl. In fact, I remember thinking at the time that it sounded like a cougar, but I never dreamed that it might actually be one. I'm strongly inclined to believe this must be some kind of mistake - if, for no other reason, than this is way outside of the cougar's natural range. On the other hand, they are pretty adaptable (they're cats, for cryin' out loud, no surprise there), and there have also been some local sightings of coyotes (more than just sightings; two of them attacked a man while he was out walking his dog), so perhaps it's not impossible. I'll be sure to keep my camera at the ready; maybe I can get a shot of a cougar and a coyote fighting over the remains of an ivory-billed woodpecker or a great auk. Might want to start carrying that new .41 magnum on my walks, too.

11 comments:

SwampWoman said...

It wasn't too many years ago when cougar kittens were being sold in pet stores here. I was wondering to myself what was going to happen to those cute little kittens when they grew up and lunched on the kids.

Paco said...

Swampie: Looks like it's possible some of 'em might have migrated north!

JeffS said...

Paco, a cougar call generally sounds like a woman screaming, if that's what you heard.

We had a similar sighting here a few months ago; the cougar followed a river for 20-30 miles from the mountains into town, and then it went back. So it's possible.

And I'd bet that, pre-colonization era, cougars did range throughout your area. This is an example of the resurgence of wildlife.

The problem is that wildlife gets used to humans if they are in an environment without hunting, such as parks and urban areas. People are no longer a threat to them, so we start looking like a tasty meal. As one Canadian found out to her regret.

And that involved coyotes, who people don't see as a threat. But they are related to domesticated dogs, and run in packs. As such, they are quite dangerous, as you rightly noted.

Cougars have been long known to stalk and hunt people; it's a fairly common event over here in the Pacific Northwest. And I've seen cougars up close in zoos and animal farms; cougars maybe of the feline family, but they are ANYTHING but friendly. Think of them as 120 pounds of very hungry angry carnivore.

Even old and toothless, I do not want to go up against a cougar. Whenever I go into the mountains, I carry my .40 S&W. Locked and loaded. So packing that .41 magnum is an excellent idea. I suggest using hollow point ammo; the taxidermist can deal with the resulting hole.

Paco said...

Jeff: Great comment. I believe I read somewhere that cougars did range in the eastern U.S. a couple of hundred years ago (growing up in North Carolina, I used to hear occasionally of sightings in the mountains). I read recently of another mauling out west (tragic about that girl in Canada).

I agree: hollow points are what the doctor ordered!

bruce said...

But Paco, didn't I read somewhere that these big American cats will only attack from behind without warning?

How fast on the draw are you?

Take care bro!

Mikael said...

It's Global Warming. No doubt about it! Any time soon cougars will be all over the place like a swarm of locusts or killer bees.
Or both.
I blame Bush!

Paco said...

Bruce: No problem. I'll just wear my Helen Thomas t-shirt backwards.

richard mcenroe said...

JeffS -- What would you have done back when you had your teeth?

Paco -- Helen Thomas constitutes animal abuse (or the 'after' photo in a cougar attack)...

JeffS said...

Heh, richard!

Bruce, I believe that you are correct. Also, cougars are intelligent and crafty, and will go for the weakest prey. But you have to be on your toes, that's for sure. I believe that's called "Middle of the food chain blues".

Maybe Paco could invite a neighbor who votes Democrat along on his walks? The cougar attacks the neighbor, Paco shoots the cougar. That's a win-win, except for the cougar. And he wouldn't count.

Paco said...

Jeff: Sensational idea!

mojo said...

They're protected out here, and are starting to form the opinion that joggers are fair game.

Used to be in the mountains, now they're down in the hills.