Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Democrat beclowns himself

My congress-critter, pug-faced Gerry Connolly, who faces a challenge from former Green Beret Chris Perkins, recently scoffed at the notion of veterans serving in Congress:
Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-11) shocked constituents by suggesting that military Veterans are unqualified to serve in Congress because their deployments prevent them from putting “sweat equity” into the districts they hope to serve in Congress.
Now, in the first place, the whole notion of Connelly talking about "sweat equity" is preposterous; he was a cog in the wheel of Fairfax County Democratic politics for years before successfully running for the House, and his legacy was what you'd expect: during the housing bubble, when property taxes were generating a lot of local government revenue, he spent lavishly. As a congressman, he has remained true to form, supporting every one of Obama's big-spending initiatives. He may well have worked up a sweat spending all that money, but the equity is the taxpayers', not his (or did he actually lay the bricks when Fairfax built that Xanadu that serves as our county government center? I think not.) And of course he's talking through the back of his neck when he questions the qualifications of veterans to hold public office. For example, might they not know a thing or two about...oh, I don't know, say, national security policy and protecting our diplomats and the danger of letting political calculations interfere with the timely use of military force? I believe it's probably good to have representatives who can provide intelligent oversight on little matters like that.

If you share, with me, the ignominy of being represented by that puffed-up little ward heeler, Gerry Connolly, then remember to vote for Chris Perkins on November 6.

3 comments:

Deadman said...

He’s the anti-Heinlein. I’m no veteran, myself, but I find the arguments persuasive in Heinlein’s Starship Troopers for earning citizenship through some form of federal service rather than by hap of birth.

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said...Gerry knows nothing of sweat. Let him attempt to accomplish what Chris, or anyone who has earned a Green Beret, has. I'll be sending a donation to Chris, and a comment to Gerry.

Yojimbo said...


Well ge me a ballot, pronto, and I'll vote for the guy. I've already shot my wad early last week.

In other news, the Arizona Republic has endorsed Flake over Carmona.