Monday, October 15, 2012

No place like home

We've just returned from a big Paco family reunion in North Carolina. Amazing how old all those other folks have gotten.

A special treat was seeing my great aunt Mary. She's 102 years old, and looks to be on track for celebrating 103 in January. There was some fine home-cooked barbecue and hot dogs and ribs, and the company was extraordinarily jolly. Plus, my brother put together some genealogical information going back to the mid-18th century and distributed copies to everybody (I was amused to learn that I had a great great uncle named "Iron"; I kept looking for an uncle Stainless Steel and an aunt Magnesium, but couldn't find 'em).

One thing my brother and I worried about: would cousin Neal show up? Phil told me a story about how, when we were all kids, he (Phil) and I tied Neal to an apple tree and left him there. I didn't remember the incident myself, and figured if there was any truth to the yarn at all, Neal wouldn't remember it either. Sure enough, Neal showed up - a devastatingly handsome fellow who somewhat resembles Mitt Romney; he's now a medical doctor - and he recognized me and came over to chat. He gave me a big smile and shook my hand. I said, "Gosh, Neal, it's been a long time." He laughed and said "It sure has! In fact, I think the last time we saw each other, you and Phil had just tied me to an apple tree." I confess to having felt some embarrassment over his immediate recollection of an incident that had completely slipped my memory. Of course, I did the honorable thing - pinned the whole idea on my brother, and threw in cousin Mike as a bonus conspirator - but there was no need. Neal just laughed and we spent a pleasant hour catching up on each other's history.

My father, Old Paco, hosted the event at his beautiful home located on a ridge overlooking some sixty acres of pasture land. I was greatly pleased that he bestowed on me a commemorative revolver (a Colt Python .357 magnum), decorated with some nice gold work celebrating the moonshiner-chasing epoch of the ATF.

BTW, what's a good birthday gift for a woman who's turning 103? I was thinking of a skateboard.

Update: Not really related, except that I saw most of the first game on television the night before the reunion: congrats to the cats for taking the first two games of the American League Championship Series - in New York. I am genuinely sorry about Derek Jeter, however; best wishes to the Yankee captain for a speedy recovery.

12 comments:

Michael Lonie said...

A bottle of Glenfiddich and a pound or two of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee.

Paco said...

Alas, Aunt Mary comes from the teetotal side of the family. The coffee's not a bad idea, though.

rinardman said...

Wow, you had a great great uncle named Iron, man. Far out!

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said...BBQ, my favorite! Congrats on the Colt, Pack! Richard groaned in appreciation! As for dear Aunt Mary, Republic of Tea has a great selection of marvelous offerings. Good luck! And best wishes to her!


JeffS said...

Cool! Our family reunions tend to be potlucks, no BBQ, unfortunately.

Col. Milquetoast said...

Welcome back, Paco. We had started to wonder where you went.

Paco, you had previously mentioned a teacher's union contract that allowed teachers to show up drunk 5 times before they could be fired. More chutzpah : apparently, the captain of the Costa Concordia is suing for wrongful termination. It seems, he and his lawyer figure that he only wrecked and sunk one $570 million dollar ship and only killed 32 people and so he deserves a second or maybe third chance.

Paco said...

Colonel: That certainly takes the chutzpah sweepstakes!

kc said...

Good to have you back, Paco. Best of the best wishes to Aunt Mary, I'm shooting for that myself!

What's left of my family reunites without me. You are a lucky man.

rinardman said...

Looks like your Striped Cats are headed to the WS, Paco. Have you got your tickets yet?

Maybe it'll be the fourth Cards/Tigers WS.

RebeccaH said...

Best wishes to Aunt Mary. At 102, her best present is probably seeing all her family in one place.

Paco said...

R-man: Naturally, if it's the Tigers and the Cards, I'll be looking for a repeat of 1968 (not 2006).

Rebecca: That's pretty much exactly what she told me.

Old Tanker said...

GO TIGERS!!!