Monday, October 8, 2012

Terrible news

The body of missing teenager, Bryan Glenn, was found today by volunteers searching a park in my neighborhood.

I offer prayers for the repose of his soul, and for his grieving family and friends.

No one knows how this happened, yet, but it is a sobering thing for me. I have walked the trail many times while out with Mabel, and there are several things about the case that puzzle me. We don't know whether the boy was killed where his body was found, or whether he was killed somewhere else and his body somehow transported there, but the trail is frequented by joggers, cyclists and dog walkers from early in the morning until the sun goes down, so it seems unlikely that he was forced to walk the trail against his will without somebody seeing both him and whoever it was who killed him. If somebody else killed him - I suppose it's possible that it may have been a suicide; however, the PI hired by the family to search for Byran said he doesn't believe this was a suicide.

By the way, it was through the efforts of the PI, and the volunteer searchers he organized, that the body was found. The Fairfax police did a search last week, but, according to the policeman who appears in the video embedded in the linked story, they came in from both ends of the trail, but never searched the whole length of it. It was precisely near the middle of the trail, where the police failed to link up, that the body was ultimately found.

When I walk the trail from now on, you can be sure I'll be putting my concealed carry permit to good use.

5 comments:

JeffS said...

This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone. My condolences to his family and friends.

kc said...

Condolences to Bryan's family and friends...such an awful thing...

Anonymous said...

Deborah Leigh said...God rest him, and give comfort he leaves behind.

Paco, perhaps you should consider a new trail regardless of that CC and Mabel.

Wonder why the searchers didn't go down the entire trail? That makes no sense...to me.

JeffS said...

"Wonder why the searchers didn't go down the entire trail?"

Speaking from experience (I've done some SAR), Deborah, in no particular order, and by no means a complete list:

1. The police search was not planned, coordinated, nor centrally controlled. That could have happened for a number of reasons, but any kind of missing person search has to be carefully thought out using the best available intelligence. There are entire books written on the subject.

2. The searchers weren't trained for this (you'd be surprised how easy a search is to mess up). A 10 minute briefing might have done wonders.

3. Some degree of indifference at all levels of the search.

4. Lack of experience and/or training within the police department.

And so on.

Not that I want to dump on the police department, as I wasn't in that decision loop, but I wanted to point these possibilities out. That's in the hope that they are rethinking their policies and procedures after this revelation.

Paco said...

Jeff: From what I've been reading, it may well have been all of those.