Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ray Harryhausen, RIP

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought Ray Harryhausen was already dead. He did finally pass away today, at age 92.

I believe I can say honestly that there are few people who have brought more pleasure into my life. Harryhausen's work in special effects was amazing, and his movies provided me with some of my most memorable childhood entertainment.

Check out this video from Jason and the Argonauts, in which the hero and his men fight against a band of skeleton warriors. And from the same movie, the awakening of Talos, a giant statue bent on avenging the theft of the treasure left in his keeping. Finally, there's this scene from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (that one still give me the willies. Hey, law enforcement officers, important safety tip: don't go up against a dinosaur with a .38).

No comments: