Sunday, December 17, 2017

Changes afoot

Within the next few months, the Pacos will be withdrawing (in good order, I hope) to the balmier climes of Southport, North Carolina, where we will be establishing a new command center. This represents a return to my homeland, in a way (I'm from North Carolina, although I never lived near the coast). Cabbage palms thrive there, so I'm counting on generally warmer weather. Southport is, according to the town's literature, a place of "salubrious breezes", which we are hoping will benefit Mrs. Paco, who suffers from various respiratory ailments.

And Mrs. Paco, good sport that she is, has agreed that we can spend a month or so every year out west, the land for which I have long yearned, ever since we spent a year and a half in Arizona while I attended graduate school.

13 comments:

bruce said...

Wow. 'Cape Fear'? Whatever, it's a beautiful place.

Paco said...

I think that I basically picked the place because of my fondness for that movie (the original, of course, starring Bob Mitchum).

JeffS said...

Congratslations, Paco! You have a nice place in occupied Northern Virginia, but North Cackylack sounds much better!

RebeccaH said...

I wish you the easiest move and the very best settling down in your new place when you get there. I love the ocean.

Deborah said...

Fantastic news! You finished the race! "The Pacos of Southport" has a nice ring. Any town that has promotional literature with the word "salubrious" in it is worthy of such a wordsmith as you. The breezes will surely aid Mrs. Paco, and so will the tasty treats from the ocean. If you wish to dine on fresh crab, get a chicken/turkey neck, some string, a net, and a bucket. Oh, and a big pot.

Remember to label the boxes.

Paco said...

Alas, neither one of us eats seafood. But there are a couple of really good burger joints in town.

Jonah said...

Trump chasing you out of your parasitic sinecure?

Good!

I mean, really, congrats on your escape.

Paco said...

Yeah, getting flushed down the drain with the other swamp life. And glad I am!

rinardman said...

Looks like a nice place. Small town, no traffic to fight, and close to a nuclear plant! What more could you want?

My brother likes to drive down to the Duplin Winery in Rosehill once in a while; to eat & buy some wine. It's about half way between my brother's place & Southport, so if I venture down to visit my brother sometime, maybe we could meet there for lunch. I don't do wine, but the food's good.

Paco said...

R-man: sounds good to me.

Deborah said...

Shellfish allergies, I presume, or don't like the taste? Well, at least there are good burger joints.

By-the-way, you mentioned getting a graduate degree in Arizona. Are you a Sun Devil, or a Wildcat?

Deborah said...

Did they give you a good send off? Has the fighting begun for your office?

Paco said...

Deb: I'm a Thunderbird, graduate of the American Graduate School of Int'l Management (Class of '92). Once it was the leading graduate school for int'l business in the country; sadly, it hit upon hard financial times and was subsumed into the Arizona State system not long ago.